VMware declared the availability of the migration tool to migrate an on-prem VMware Cloud Director deployment to VMware Cloud Director support in November 2022.
This blog will display how to complete a migration of an on-prem VMware Cloud Director deployment to VMware Cloud Director service using the migration resource offered by VMware, as described in the documentation How Do I Migrate from On-premises VMware Cloud Director to VMware Cloud Director assistance by Employing the Migration Software.
An overview of the steps demanded is:
- Set up the necessities to run the migration software if this will be done from a Windows equipment
- Build a migration.homes file to examine into the migration device
- Run the migration tool (download the most recent model from https://github.com/vmware-samples/cloud-director-services-migration and extract to the host you will carry out the migration from
Just before running the migration software, you will will need to install the essential deals for Linux or on Windows, use a shell such as cygwin to run the device. The below guidelines show the migration tool on Home windows applying cygwin. For a comprehensive listing of the migration device necessities, see Migration Tool Stipulations.
For cygwin put in curl, jq, zip, ssh, scp, sshpass, and md5sum.
Create a Migration Qualities File
You do not have to create the migration.homes file to do a migration, but it would make it simpler to see the details in a file, and if you have to rerun the script for any cause, you don’t have to keep retyping the exact same facts in.
For cygwin, in the default site when opening it, CD to /tmp and produce the file termed migration.qualities. File in the subsequent keys and their corresponding values:
- Web site_Title – this is the VMware Cloud Director internet site name that will be migrated, these as vcd-web-site1
- Website_ADMIN_USERNAME – this would commonly be the administrator account
- IS_Equipment – tells the instrument whether the VMware Cloud Director is an appliance deployment
- CSP_ORG_ID – this is the lengthy org ID of your corporation in the VMware portal. For additional information on how to uncover this facts, see
- CSP_ORG_REFRESH_TOKEN – this is the token created in the VMware portal to use for running tasks this kind of as associations, migrations, and other capabilities. For more details, see How Do I Produce an API Token.
- Mobile_USERNAME – this would commonly be root
- DBHOST_USERNAME – this would generally be root
Right here is an example of a migration.houses file crammed out.
Note that if your VMware Cloud Director instance is not publicly offered, such as a lab occasion for dev/examination/UAT, you will have to have to incorporate just one additional line to the migration.properties file. The migration software connects to VCD to verify the variation in advance of making an attempt a migration and does so by connecting to the community DNS name stated in the migration.houses file, so if it is not publicly available, increase the line beneath with the doable values in the link. You will need to have to change edition with the major model number becoming migrated, this sort of as 10.3, 10.4, and so on.
Down below is an instance of my filled out migration.houses file with Up grade_Classification additional as the VCD occasion is not publicly readily available.
If you operate the migration script and it fails for any cause earlier the level exactly where it starts reading in the migration.homes file, you will need to open up the attributes file and re-include the line for Enhance_Category as it will be removed.
Once the migration.attributes file has been finished, save it and open your cygwin bash or which ever bash you are employing. Navigate to the folder that the migration instrument was extracted to and run the script by managing ./migrate.sh.
The script will prompt you line by line to acknowledge the values that were entered in the migration.homes file, or if the file does not exist, you will need to have to manually enter the information when prompted.
- Migration houses file discovered, want to reuse. Enter y to browse in the entries from the homes file.
- On-prem VCD web site FQDN title (uncovered: title_from_file). Enter y to use the benefit from the homes file.
- On-prem VCD admin user name (discovered: admin_consumer). Enter y to use the value from the homes file.
- Enter admin password for for on-prem VCD website title_from_file. Enter the password for the admin account specified to hook up to VCD.
- Is VCD title_from_file appliance dependent? Enter y to specify it is an appliance centered VCD.
- Username for mobile name_from_file identified. Enter y to use the user specified in the file.
- Enter password for cell identify_from_file. Enter the password the account specified to join to the VCD appliance.
- CSP ORG ID located csp_org_from_file. Enter y to use the org id specified in the file.
- CSP ORG refresh token found token_from_file. Enter y to use the CSP org token specified in the file.
- Enter CDI Title to migrate: This will be the name of the CDS occasion in the VMware portal. Enter the identify you want the CDS to be identified as. Observe that this will be the website identify within just VCD as very well.
In the monitor shot down below, you can see that you will will need to respond to every queries per line.
The migration tool will collect the database details from the VCD databases mobile, add it to an S3 bucket, produce the CDS instance and import the database dump to the new instance. You can see in the screen shot above on the previous line in the bottom purple box that it is dumping the database from vcd-01a.corp.area to put together to add it to an S3 bucket.
When the database dump has accomplished, the script will upload the data files to an S3 bucket to be imported to generate the CDS instance. In the display shot underneath, the top red box displays that the files had been collected, then successfully uploaded. The bottom red box reveals that VMware Cloud Director on prem equipment that is currently being migrated is set into servicing manner to keep away from adjustments in the configuration amongst the migration and the CDS occasion coming on the web.
You must now see the CDS instance that was migrated with the title furnished all through the migration.